The US Masters golf tournament, held in Augusta Georgia each year, has to be one of the most famous annual events in world sport. It’s held each year in April and unlike the other three majors it is held at the same venue each year. In 2014 it was won by Bubba Watson.
The number of competitors at this major compared to the other three is fewer because it is an invitational event and ever since 1949 the winner of the tournament has been awarded a green jacket although he has to hand it back at the following year’s tournament.
The team at Rocket have come up with twelve facts about the US Masters which we hope you enjoy.
- Most tournament wins – Jack Nicklaus with six spread over 24 years
- First tournament – 1934
- Total prize money – This was $9,000,000 in 2014
- First winner – Horton Smith who received $1,500
- Length of the course – 7435 yards (6800 metres)
- Youngest player to win the Masters – Tiger Woods at 21 years old
- Oldest winner – Jack Nicklaus aged 46 years old
- Course architect – Alister Mackenzie of Scotland
- Consecutive wins – Jack Nicklaus, Nick Faldo and Tiger Woods have all won it in consecutive years
- Most appearances – Gary Player who has played the tournament 52 times
- Course record – Nick Price scored nine under par in 1986
- Most birdies in a tournament – This is held by USA’s Phil Mickelson who hit 25 birdies over his four rounds in 2001
We hope we have given you a flavour of the US Masters and if you want to go to the tournament in 2015 please do get in contact.